iCarly is an American teen sitcom created by Dan Schneider that ran on Nickelodeon from September 8, 2007 until November 23, 2012. The series stars Miranda Cosgrove, Jennette McCurdy, Nathan Kress and Jerry Trainor, and tells the story of Carly Shay, a teenager who creates her own web show called 'iCarly' with her best friends Sam Puckett and Freddie Benson in the apartment loft that she and her older brother Spencer Shay live in. As the web show quickly becomes an internet phenomenon, the youngsters are tasked with balancing their normal teenage lives with the wacky situations their newfound fame lands them in.
During the first five seasons, the show was taped at Nickelodeon on Sunset before relocating to KTLA Studios in Hollywood for the sixth and final season. It was nominated for an Emmy award for Outstanding Children's Program five times. The series finale, "iGoodbye", aired on November 23, 2012.
Although the show received mixed reviews from critics, it became popular with audiences. The most watched episode was "iSaved Your Life", which premiered on January 18, 2010, to 11.2 million viewers; this is the second-most-viewed telecast in Nickelodeon history.
When Carly and her best friend Sam improvise comedy at a school talent show audition, tech-savvy Freddie records it and posts it online without informing them. After seeing the girls' strong chemistry and banter, the online audience clamors for more, and the iCarly webcast is introduced. The three teenagers find their normal adolescent lives thrown for a loop when they discover that they have become online sensations as their show – which features talent contests, recipes, problem-solving, and random dancing – garners international accolades.
Carly lives in Seattle with her adult brother and guardian Spencer, and produces the show in a makeshift third-floor studio loft in their apartment. Their father, Steven Shay, is a U.S. Air Force officer stationed on a submarine and is often mentioned, but is only seen during the series' finale episode, "iGoodbye".
Exterior shots of the Shays' apartment building, Bushwell Plaza, are digitally altered images of the Eastern Columbia Building in Los Angeles.
Season 4 main characters: (left to right) Gibby (Noah Munck), Spencer Shay (Jerry Trainor), Carly Shay (Miranda Cosgrove), Freddie Benson (Nathan Kress) and Sam Puckett (Jennette McCurdy)
- Carly Shay (Miranda Cosgrove) is the host of her own popular web show, iCarly, which she produces with her two best friends, Sam and Freddie.
- Sam Puckett (Jennette McCurdy) is one of Carly's best friends and co-host of iCarly.
- Freddie Benson (Nathan Kress) is also one of Carly's good friends and neighbor. He is the technical producer of iCarly.
- Spencer Shay (Jerry Trainor) is Carly's older brother and legal guardian.
- Gibby (Noah Munck) (recurring role: seasons 1–3; main role: seasons 4–6) is an odd friend of Carly, Sam and Freddie.
- Marissa Benson (Mary Scheer) is Freddie's overbearing and overprotective mother (often referred to by Sam as Freddie's "freakish mother").
- Charlotte (Deena Dill) is Gibby's and Guppy's loving and sometimes overprotective mother. Charlotte dates Spencer, but after their break up, she tries to avoid him. She is a doting mother and often embarrasses Gibby.
- Lewbert Sline (Jeremy Rowley) is the doorman for the building in which Carly, Spencer, and Freddie live, characterized by his annoying, protective behavior and a large wart on his face. He is often being pranked on iCarly.
- Nevel Papperman (Reed Alexander) is a critic who runs the nevelocity.com website, a site that reviews other websites, including iCarly.com. He is Carly's nemesis and has constantly tried to sabotage iCarly in exchange for a kiss from Carly.
- T-Bo (BooG!e) is the manager at the Groovy Smoothie. He often annoys customers into buying random foods (i.e. bell peppers, bagels, tacos), which are always impaled on a stick. Starting in "iQ", he began renting a room from Freddie's mother.
- Guppy (Ethan Munck) is Gibby's younger brother and often tags along with Gibby.
- Chuck Chambers (Ryan Ochoa) is a child in the Shays' apartment building who frequently torments Spencer.
- Principal Ted Franklin (Tim Russ) is the principal at Ridgeway Secondary School, the school where Carly, Sam, and Freddie attend. He is very lenient and is also a big fan of iCarly.
- Ms. Francine Briggs (Mindy Sterling) is a very strict English teacher at Ridgeway Secondary School who shows an obvious dislike for children.
- Mr. Howard (David St. James) is a strict and unenthusiastic teacher who hates almost everything including his wife.
- Nora Dershlit (Danielle Morrow) is an obsessive and insane iCarly fan with a chicken named Maurice. In the past, she had trapped the Carly cast in her home against their will. She has made appearances on the episodes "iPsycho" and "iStillPsycho". She also appeared in an episode of Sam & Cat titled "#SuperPsycho".